It is not just an example of a balanced healthy diet, but a synonym for pleasure and the ability to be happy.
What is the essence of the Cretan diet? Not another torture for counting calories, but a source of long life for the locals. Although it is very close to the culinary traditions of the Mediterranean countries, it has its own specific features, which attribute to it exceptional merits for the prevention of cardiovascular, cancer and others. diseases. Merits, thanks to which your life will be not only more pleasant, but also longer. And besides being healthy, you will be slim and with beautiful skin.
1. You need to learn as the inhabitants of this island to eat regularly – 3 times a day at the same time.
2. Try not to overeat and do not take in excess calories that would make it difficult for the body to absorb them.
3. Use a variety of products that are always fresh and natural. The people of Crete follow the rule to eat only what gives the land and the sea in its pure form and to avoid all processed products.
4. The locals mainly use two types of vegetable oil for culinary purposes – olive oil and rapeseed oil. Use the highest quality olive oil for salads, and refined types for cooking. Firstly, because it is cheaper, and secondly, because at high temperatures valuable biological substances are destroyed.
5. The inhabitants of Fr. Crete uses a variety of aromatic herbs in its diet, which, in addition to giving great taste, are also strong antioxidants, a rich source of vitamins and minerals. They are a necessary condition for the metabolism of fatty acids and promote their proper absorption by the body.
6. The locals do not use much meat. It is a source of too much saturated fat, which clogs blood vessels.
7. The people of Crete consume a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes and cereals, nuts and seeds, which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, plant proteins and cellulose (fiber). All this interferes with the absorption of cholesterol, satiates for a long time, improves intestinal peristalsis.
Unlike many other diets for weight loss, the Cretan does not prohibit bread, and the amount of vegetables and fruits should not be less than 400-500 g per day, and it is best to have half raw.
Try to use fresh fruits and vegetables, not those that have stayed in the refrigerator for a long time – they lose their useful biological properties.
8. Since Fr. Crete is part of the family of Mediterranean residents, and its inhabitants are not deprived of a few glasses of good red wine. It is known that grape seeds contain substances that are strong antioxidants, prolong cell life, improve blood circulation. They are also known to melt cellulite. They also contain oil, which strengthens blood vessels and the heart. If you do not drink alcohol, then drink supplements with grape seed extract.
9. Instead of pastries and confectionery, use fresh fruit for dessert.
10. Prefer gentle heat treatment of food – steaming, stewing, baking.
11. Eat seasonal products and, if possible, grown in the geographical area in which you live. At least that’s what the people of Crete do.
12. The food you eat should contain polyunsaturated fats – 25%, which will provide you with 35% of the energy you need. Saturated fats in your diet should not exceed 7-8% of your total calories for the day.
13. Eat low-fat dairy products – cheese, yogurt / in moderation /.
14. Also eat fish and chicken (in moderation) and up to 4 eggs a week.
15. Limit red meat to once a week.